With LinkedIn scoring the number two spot in social networking and Google+ trying to get up to speed it will make it an interesting time for social networks. There are some good reads by Little Mac, Harlan Carvey and Chris Pogue. See what Dilbert and BOFH are up to as well as checking out the upcoming conferences and training and the call for papers for numerous conferences.
If you have an item you'd like to contribute to Digital Forensics Case Leads, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Little Mac over athttp://forensicaliente.blogspot.com/2011/07/encrypted-container-file-recovery.html has a good posts onEncrypted Container File Recovery.
- Harlan Carvey of the Windows Incident Response blog has an interesting topic discussing how Structure adds Context and a followup to that post here.
- Chris Pogue has a good discussion about Master Boot Record Analysis that can be found here.
- Hackers crack Vodafone's network, can listen to all calls.
- Police forces equipped with facial recognition devices cause privacy outrage.
- LinkedIn leapfrogs Myspace to become America's second largest social network.
- Google+ to hit 10,000,000 users earlier this week and is expected to double by next week. Levity:
- SANSFIRE 2011 - Washington, DC - July 15 - 24, 2011
- Open Memory Forensics Workshop (OMFW) 2011, New Orleans, LA, July 31, 2011
- Blog contributor Ray Strubinger will be leading a Mentor session of Security 504: Hacker Techniques, Exploits & Incident Handling - Atlanta, GA - August 4, 2011 - October 6, 2011
- BlackHat, SecurityBSides and DefCon - First week in August, in super-heated Las Vegas. Don't worry, it cools down to 100 degrees F by midnight!
- SANS Boston 2011 - Boston, MA - August 6 - 15, 2011
- Paul Henry will be teaching SANS FOR 408: Computer Forensic Investigations - Windows In-Depth in Virginia Beach, VA - August 28 - September 2, 2011
- Dave Hull will be teaching SANS FOR 408: Computer Forensic Investigations - Windows In-Depth in Ottawa, ON - August 28 - September 2, 2011
- 2011 HTCIA (High Tech Crime Investigator's Association) International Training Conference and Expo near Palm Springs, CA, September 12-14 2011
- Mandiant has opened up registration for MIRcon, which will be held in Alexandria, VA - October 11 - 12, 2011.
- GrrCon - Midwest Information Security and Hacker Conference - Grand Rapids , MI - September 16 2011
- Paraben's Forensic Innovations Conference - Due Date - Aug 01, 2011
- 2011 secAU Security Congress - Due Date - Sept 30 2011
- 2012 American Academy of Forensic Sciences Annual Meeting - Due Date - Aug 01, 2011
Digital Forensics Case Leads for 20110714 was compiled by Mark McKinnon GCFA, CCE is Principal of RedWolf Computer Forensics where he has written many tools that are used through out the Computer Forensic Community. You can follow Mark on twitter @markmckinnon.