This week's edition of CaseLeads features a report on emerging cyber threats, another report about malware and vulnerabilities,research about the head of a new anti-virus firm, updates to the Oxygen Forensics Suite and Memoryze for the Mac. There's also a story about how email led to several discoveries in the case of theCIA director that recently resigned and an article about Skype and personal information.
If you have an item you'd like to contribute to Digital Forensics Case Leads, please send it to email@example.com.
- Oxygen Forensics Suite Adds Chrome, Dolphin and LinkedIn support.
- Memoryze for the Mac.The popular tool for Windows is now available for OS X.
- Georgia Tech and the Georgia Tech Research Institute published a report on emerging cyber threats for 2013. The report is available as a PDF and video from the summit held on November 14th willalso be made available.
- The story is still unfolding (and it already sounds like a movie plot) but it seems that location data associated with email played a part in the CIA director's resignation. Be careful what you email and where you email
- Trend Micro's 3Q 2012 Security Roundupcontains a number of findings on malware on mobile devices (read Android) and the most commonly abused applications.
- Brian Krebs researched the person that appears to be behind the Chinese "anti-virus" company, Anvisoft and found that it may be lead by an infamous hacker.
- Cyber security issues facing the government and large businesses have been getting a lot of coverage lately so it should not come as a surpise that smaller businesses are considered more susceptable.
- Skype turned over a user's identity when another company asked. Thedetailsare still being sorted out andSkype has launced an internal investigation to determine if any of its policieswere violated.
- Forensics@NIST 2012 - Rockville, MD - Nov 28 - 30, 2012
- IEEE International Workshop on Information Forensics and Security - Tenerife, Spain - Dec 2 - 5, 2012
- 2012 secau Security Congress - Perth, Western Australia - Dec 3 - 5, 2012
- SANS Cyber Defense Initiative 2012 - Washington, DC - Dec 7 - 16, 2012
- SANS Mobile Device Security Summit - Anaheim, CA - Jan 7 - 14, 2013
- SANS Virtualization & Cloud Computing Summit - Anaheim, CA - Jan 7 - 14, 2013