This week's edition of Case Leads features a new version of REMnux for malware analysis and we have two tools for collecting forensic images from iPhone and Android devices. We also have a couple of articles on Android memory analysis and the use of Open Source digital forensics tools to validate commercial tools.
As always, if you have an item you'd like to share for Digital Forensics Case Leads, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Katana Forensics has released LANTERN Lite, an open source application for performing forensic acquisitions of Apple's iOS devices.
- Actually we have several good reads - Richard Bejtlich has published his best reads of 2011.
- The Journal of Digital Investigations has published a paper on Android memory forensics. The paper presents a module that is able to do a complete memory capture from Android devices over the network. The authors have also extended the Volatility framework to allow it to analyze Android kernel memory.
- An article by Cory Altheide and Christa M. Miller using Open Source forensics tools to validate proprietary digital forensics tools.
- From the something-happened-but-we're-not-sure-what department, initial accounts suggested various mobile phone vendors supplied back door access to their handsets to a nation state. Some now believe that claim is false and was fabricated by a hacktivist group.
- 2012 looks a lot like 2011 in terms of breaches as hacktivists continue to target law enforcement associations.
- InfraGard Arizona "Social Engineering" Event: AGENT SADDAM, An Inside Look at FBI Special Agent George Piro's Interrogation of Saddam Hussein - Phoenix Arizona -January 23rd at 6-9PM
- North American SCADA 2012- Lake Buena Vista, FL -January 21 - 29, 2012
- DoD Cyber Crime Conference 2012- Atlanta, Ga -January 20th - 27th, 2012
- SANS Monterey 2012-Monterey, California - January 30th - February 4th, 2012
- SANS Phoenix 2012-Phoenix, Arizona -February 13 - 18, 2012
- RSA Conference 2012-San Francisco, CA -February 26 - 27, 2012
- SANS Secure Singapore 2012-Singapore, Singapore -March 05 - 17, 2012
- Mobile Device Security Summit- Nashville, TN -March 12 - 15, 2012
- 12th Annual CanSecWest Conference-Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - March 9 - 11, 2012
- SANS 2012-Orlando, Florida -March 23 - 30, 2012
- Euro Forensic 2012-Istanbul, Turkey - March 29 - 31, 2012
- SANS Northern Virginia 2012, Reston, VA - April 15 - 20, 2012 -
- 5th USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats (LEET '12) - San Jose, CA - April 24th, 2012
- SANS AppSec 2012: Summit & Training-Las Vegas, NV - April 24 - May 2, 2012
Call For Papers:
- SANS DFIR Summit - Jan 15, 2011
- 2012 Conference on Digital Forensics, Security and Law- Due Date - Jan 31, 2012
- 14th Information Hiding Conference- Due Date - Feb 05, 2012
- 5th USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats(LEET '12)- Due Date - Feb 13, 2012
- ARES Conference- Due Date - Mar 01, 2012
- Symposium On Usable Privacy and Security- Due Date - Mar 09, 2012
- European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS) 2012- Due Date - Mar 31, 2012
Digital Forensics Case Leads is a (mostly) weekly publication of the week's news and events relating to digital forensics. If you have an item you'd like to share, please send it to email@example.com.
Digital Forensics Case Leads for 20120112 was compiled by Ray Strubinger. Ray regularly leads digital forensics and incident response efforts and when the incidents permit, he is involved in aspects of information security ranging from Data Loss Prevention to Risk Analysis.