In this week's edition of Case Leads we have updates to a couple of tools, Bulk_extractor and FTK as well as two new blogs featuring malware analysis and digital forensics tutorials.
If you have an item you'd like to contribute toDigital Forensics CaseLeads, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A new version of Bulk_extractor has been released. This tool scans a disk image, file, or directory and extracts useful information without parsing the file system or file system structures. The tool will also create histograms of the information it finds.
- A new version of FTK was recently made available. The release notes are available as a PDF.
- A new blog on malware analysis: http://www.malanalysis.com/blog/
- Another fairly new blog that features video demonstrations of forensics tools and offers another take on malware analysis: http://www.sysforensics.org/
- Rounding out malware analysis is the Hexacorn blog which presents several techniques used to prevent forensic analysis.
- Girl, Unallocated has been inspired by posts from Harlan Carvey and others to begin writing "stories from the trenches" of digital forensics.
- As EU and US law makers ponder data privacy, a USB flash drive containing data from a UK nuclear power plant is lost.
- A former Goldman Sachs programmer has been released after being cleared of code theft.
- Strong Bad educates the masses about storage and communications technologies.
- A follow up to the 45 caliber laptop solution.
- SANS Secure Singapore 2012-Singapore, Singapore -March 05 - 17, 2012
- Mobile Device Security Summit- Nashville, TN -March 12 - 15, 2012
- 12th Annual CanSecWest Conference-Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - March 9 - 11, 2012
- SANS 2012-Orlando, Florida -March 23 - 30, 2012
- Euro Forensic 2012-Istanbul, Turkey - March 29 - 31, 2012
- SANS Northern Virginia 2012, Reston, VA - April 15 - 20, 2012 -
- 5th USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats (LEET '12) - San Jose, CA - April 24th, 2012
- SANS Cyber Guardian 2012 - Baltimore, MD - April 30 - May 7, 2012
- SANS AppSec 2012: Summit & Training-Las Vegas, NV - April 24 - May 2, 2012
- 7th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security - Seoul, South Korea - May 1 - 3, 2012
- SANS Security West 2012 - San Diego, CA - May 10 - 18, 2012
- 14th Information Hiding Conference - Berleley, CA - May 15 - 18, 2012
- IEEE Symposium on Security & Privacy - San Francisco, CA - May 20 - 23, 2012
- Computer Enterprise and Investigation Conference - Summerlin, NV - May 21 - 24, 2012
- 2012 ADFSL Conference on Digital Forensics, Security and Law - Richmond, VA - May 30 - 31, 2012
- ARES Conference- Due Date - Mar 01, 2012
- Symposium On Usable Privacy and Security- Due Date - Mar 09, 2012
- European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS) 2012- Due Date - Mar 31, 2012
Digital Forensics Case Leads is a (mostly) weekly publication of the week's news and events relating to digital forensics. If you have an item you'd like to share, please send it to email@example.com.
Digital Forensics Case Leads for 20110224 was compiled by Ray Strubinger. Ray regularly leads digital forensics and incident response efforts and when the incidents permit, he is involved in aspects of information security ranging from Data Loss Prevention to Risk Analysis.