This week in Case Leads numerous hackers were arrested as well as a online pedophile ring was disbanded. One new tool for flash analysis is out as well as updates to existing tools. A case study as well as working with the SIFT workstation and a quiz to solve using proper pirate Arrgot round everything out.
If you have an item you'd like to contribute to Digital Forensics Case Leads, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Peleus Uhley over at Adobe has released a tool for SWF disassembly/analysis and it is Open Source. It can be found here.
- Didier Stevens has released TaskManager.xls which is a simple taskmanager implemented in Excel/VBA, the new update has memory usage statistics and supports 64 bit.
- Simple Carver Suite released a new version, version 4.6, a new program called File Fragmenter can be used to test how applications handle incomplete files, it will create subsets of files based on actual good files.
- Oxygen Software has updated Oxygen Forensic Suite 2012 to version 4.1.
- Several great posts on Cheeky4n6monkey about using the SIFT Workstation.
- Girl Unallocated has some great posts on some Case Studies.
- LulzSec hacking group leader turned in other members according to the FBI.
- Acussed Irish LulzSec hacker worked in security.
- Hackers hit Spanish firm Panda Security, claiming revenge for FBI arrests.
- Election hacked, drunken robot elected to school board. The full report can be read here.
- UK police quiz man over abortion website attack.
- Italy police break up global online pedophile network, called "Operation Nanny"
- Lithuania rules beer brewing 'vitally essential' to life
- Backward in Time.
- Dilbert on Extreme Talkers and Lawsuit Monkey.
- Solve these riddles using proper Priate Arrgot.
- Mobile Device Security Summit- Nashville, TN -March 12 - 15, 2012
- 12th Annual CanSecWest Conference-Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - March 9 - 11, 2012
- SANS 2012-Orlando, Florida -March 23 - 30, 2012
- Euro Forensic 2012-Istanbul, Turkey - March 29 - 31, 2012
- SANS Northern Virginia 2012, Reston, VA - April 15 - 20, 2012 -
- 5th USENIX Workshop on Large-Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats (LEET '12) - San Jose, CA - April 24th, 2012
- SANS Cyber Guardian 2012 - Baltimore, MD - April 30 - May 7, 2012
- SANS AppSec 2012: Summit & Training-Las Vegas, NV - April 24 - May 2, 2012
- 7th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security - Seoul, South Korea - May 1 - 3, 2012
- SANS Security West 2012 - San Diego, CA - May 10 - 18, 2012
- 14th Information Hiding Conference - Berleley, CA - May 15 - 18, 2012
- IEEE Symposium on Security & Privacy - San Francisco, CA - May 20 - 23, 2012
- Computer Enterprise and Investigation Conference - Summerlin, NV - May 21 - 24, 2012
- 2012 ADFSL Conference on Digital Forensics, Security and Law - Richmond, VA - May 30 - 31, 2012
Call For Papers:
- Symposium On Usable Privacy and Security- Due Date - Mar 09, 2012
- European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS) 2012- Due Date - Mar 31, 2012
- 2012 Sleuth Kit and Open Source Digital Forensics Conference- Due Date April 16, 2012
Digital Forensics Case Leads is a (mostly) weekly publication of the week's news and events relating to digital forensics. If you have an item you'd like to share, please send it to email@example.com.
Digital Forensics Case Leads for 20120309 was compiled by Mark McKinnon GCFA, CCE is Principal of RedWolf Computer Forensics where he has written many tools that are used throughout the Computer Forensic Community. You can follow Mark on twitter @markmckinnon.