In this issue of Case Leads with have Android Malware increase, DoS Attacks on Czech Banks, some updates to Oxygen Forensics Suite and a New tool from Magnet Forensics and a little levity.
If you have an item you'd like to contribute to Digital Forensics Case Leads, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Oxygen Forensics Suite have released version 5.1.1. Some of the new features include aupport for Windows 8. Added support for Opera Mini and Opera Mobile for Android. Many other enhancements and improvements as well.
- Passware is now integrated in Oxygen Forensic Suite to provide a joint solution to mobile device investigations.
- Magnet Forensics has release a new tool called IEF Frontline which will provide investigators with a "quick look" at digital media.
Good Reading and Listening
- Lance Mueller has a good post over at forensickb.com where he has created a Enscript that will parse the setupapi.dev.log file. Using this enscript you can easily parse out all the USB insertion events.
- Harlan Carvey has a post over on his blog Windows Incident Response Blog that talks about WOW6432Node registry redirection. In Harlans words if we are not looking at this then we need to. This is just one more area we need to make sure that we look at when we do registry analysis, if you are not looking in this area then you are potentially only getting half the picture when you are examining 64bit windows systems.
- Eric Huber over at the Fist Full of Dongles blog recently posted about Microsoft Windows File System Tunneling. This is something that forensic examiners should be aware of and should also be tested in Windows 7 and 8 as the research Eric did was on Windows XP.
- The register has a good article about Rear Admiral Grace Hopper. Anyone who does not know who she is should read this ad learn a little about this amazing woman.
- Email Scammers Using Hugo Chavez as Bait. As with any celebrity death or natural disaster users and admins need to watch what links are being clicked and what emails with links are coming into there organizations.
- Android Accounts for 79% of all mobile malware in 2012. Anyone that has to manage mobile devices needs to be aware that they may need to provide more solutions and be more vigilant for the BYOD crowd.
- Hackers target Czech Banks, affects online banking. Numerous banks in the Czech republic fell victim to denial of service attacks that made their websites unavailable.
- Climbing the corporate ladder BOFH style.
- IMF 2013 - 7th International Conference on IT Security Incident Management & IT Forensics - Mar 12 - 14, 2013
- CTIN 2013 Digital Forensics Conference - Seattle, WA - Mar 13 - 15, 2013
- International Workshop on Cyber Crime - San Francisco, CA - May 24, 2013
- Techno Security and Forensics Investigation Conference - Myrtle Beach, SC - Jun 2 - 5, 2013
- Mobile Forensics World - Myrtle Beach, SC - Jun 2 - 5, 2013
- ADFSL 2013 Conference on Digital Forensics, Security and Law - Richmond, VA - Jun 10 - 12, 2013
- FIRST Conference - Bangkok, Thailand - Jun 16 - 21, 2013
- The 1st ACM Workshop on Information Hiding and Multimedia Security - Jun 17 - 19, 2013
- Shakacon V - Honolulu, Hawaii - Jun 25 - 28, 2013
- SANS Digital Forensics and Incident Response Summit 2013 - Austin, TX - Jul 9 - 10, 2013
- 28th IFIP TC-11 SEC 2013 International Information Security and Privacy Conference Auckland, New Zealand - Jul 8 - 10, 2013
- Symposium On Usable Privacy and Security Newcastle, United Kingdom - Jul 24 - 26, 2013
Call For Papers:
- GrrCON - Due June 1 2013
Digital Forensics Case Leads is a (mostly) weekly publication of the week's news and events relating to digital forensics. If you have an item you'd like to share, please send it email@example.com.
Digital Forensics Case Leads for 20121130 was compiled by Mark McKinnon (@markmckinnon) CCE, GCFA. Mark is a Software Developer and Instructor at a University in the Midwest where he also practices digital forensics.